Friday, May 02, 2008

Dirty Rotten Workout Hangovers!!

As you may have read in my previous posts, I have found a formula that pretty much takes care of alcoholic hangovers. Now that I have that figured out, I am running in to "Workout Hangovers" !! In a nutshell, it's feeling bad for doing something that's supposed to be good!

I had back surgery (Microdiscectomy) last February and am recovering pretty well considering it's only been a little over two months since the surgery. I started Physical Therapy in early March and started working out every day (Mainly Elliptical Exercise) in order to lose some of the Gut I developed while laid up. This was all well and good until I started feeling like I was putting tequila in my Gatorade the day after the workouts! Draggy, Cranky, Headachey, etc.

Initially I blamed it on my allergies, but I think it may be simple over training! I ran across this little tidbit in an article by Tom Gorman about Ellipticals....

"Using your elliptical trainer every other day or three times a week should provide adequate workout time, and you should see results quickly. It is important to take “rest days” so as not to overwork your muscles. Overworking can cause your weight loss or muscle building to slow down, not speed up."

Not only does this explain my hangovers but also my reluctance to lose weight! It's easy to underestimate what a good workout the Ellipticals give since you don't actually notice how hard you are working out! It is very low impact!

Looks like I will be working out every other day for at least the near future!!

Common warning signs of over training include:

Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
Pain in muscles and joints
Sudden drop in performance
Insomnia
Headaches
Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
Decrease in training capacity / intensity
Moodiness and irritability
Depression
Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
Decreased appetite
Increased incidence of injuries.

No comments: